O'Lone v. Estate of Shabazz - Wikipedia
1987 United States Supreme Court case
|O'Lone v. Estate Of Shabazz|
|Argued March 24, 1987|
Decided June 9, 1987
|Full case name||O'Lone, Administrator, Leesburg Prison Complex, et al. v. Estate of Shabazz, et al.|
|Citations||482 U.S. 342 (more)|
107 S. Ct. 2400; 96 L. Ed. 2d 282; 1987 U.S. LEXIS 2604
|The Court of Appeals erred in placing the burden on prison officials to disprove the availability of alternative methods of accommodating prisoners' religious rights. That approach fails to reflect the respect and deference the Constitution allows for the judgment of prison administrators.|
|Majority||Rehnquist, joined by White, Powell, O'Connor, Scalia|
|Dissent||Brennan, joined by Marshall, Blackmun, Stevens|
|U.S. Const. amend. I|
O'Lone v. Estate of Shabazz, 482 U.S. 342 (1987), was a U.S. Supreme Court decision involving the constitutionality of prison regulations. The court ruled that it was not a violation of the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to deprive an inmate of attending a religious service for "legitimate penological interests."
- Rachanow, Shelly S. (1998). "The Effect of O'Lone v. Estate of Shabazz on the Free Exercise Rights of Prisoners". Journal of Church & State. 40: 125–148. doi:10.1093/jcs/40.1.125. ISSN 0021-969X.
- Rigoli, L. M. (1990). ""Power Exercised in the Shadows": O'Lone v. Shabazz as a Signal to the Court's Return to Interpretivism in Institutional Reform Litigation". New England Journal on Crime and Civil Confinement. 16: 141.
- List of United States Supreme Court cases, volume 482
- List of United States Supreme Court cases
- Lists of United States Supreme Court cases by volume
- List of United States Supreme Court cases by the Rehnquist Court
- Text of O'Lone v. Estate of Shabazz, 482 U.S. 342 (1987) is available from: CourtListener Findlaw Google Scholar Justia Library of Congress Oyez (oral argument audio)
This article related to the Supreme Court of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
Retrieved from "https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=O%27Lone_v._Estate_of_Shabazz&oldid=1129563306"
In other languages!