Aguilar v. Felton - Wikipedia
1985 United States Supreme Court case
|Aguilar v. Felton|
|Argued December 5, 1984|
Decided July 1, 1985
|Full case name||Aguilar, et al. v. Felton, et al.|
|Citations||473 U.S. 402 (more)|
105 S. Ct. 3232; 87 L. Ed. 2d 290; 1985 U.S. LEXIS 117
|Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 remedial services could not be provided on the premises of a parochial school because doing so violated the First Amendment's Establishment Clause.|
|Majority||Brennan, joined by Marshall, Blackmun, Powell, Stevens|
|Dissent||O'Connor, joined by Rehnquist (Parts II and III)|
|U.S. Const. amend. I|
|Agostini v. Felton (1997)|
Aguilar v. Felton, 473 U.S. 402 (1985), was a United States Supreme Court case holding that New York City's program that sent public school teachers into parochial schools to provide remedial education to disadvantaged children pursuant to Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 necessitated an excessive entanglement of church and state and violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.
Aguilar v. Felton was subsequently overruled by Agostini v. Felton, 521 U.S. 203 (1997).
- ^ Bernstein, Nina (2001). The Lost Children of Wilder: The Epic Struggle to Change Foster Care. New York City: Vintage Books. pp. 358–359. ISBN 978-0-679-75834-1. OCLC 48994782.
- Pfeffer, Leo (1984). Religion, State and the Burger Court. Buffalo: Prometheus Books. ISBN 0-87975-275-0.
- Young, S. M. (1986). "Lemon Reconstituted: Aguilar v. Felton and Public Aid to Parochial Schools". Northern Kentucky Law Review. 13: 317.
- Text of Aguilar v. Felton, 473 U.S. 402 (1985) is available from: CourtListener Findlaw Google Scholar Justia Oyez (oral argument audio)
|In Pop Culture|
This article related to the Supreme Court of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
In other languages!
- United States Supreme Court cases
- Establishment Clause case law
- 1985 in United States case law
- 1985 in religion
- Overruled United States Supreme Court decisions
- New York City Department of Education
- Religion and education
- United States Supreme Court cases of the Burger Court
- 1985 in education
- City of New York litigation
- United States Supreme Court stubs